Friday, November 30, 2018

Joy School by Elizabeth Berg ~ my review

Joy School (Katie Nash, #2)Joy School by Elizabeth Berg

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


Honest. Clever. Guileless. Did I mention honest? Joy School's heroine is as winsome as they come. Elizabeth Berg's twelve-year-old Katie is a child so sincerely trying to grow up, get by, do the right thing, be liked, love and be loved, I cannot help but be in her corner. Katie is smart, observant, sensitive, and funny. From her hilarious descriptions of her high school teachers to her desire to know how to kiss when the time comes, this novel entertains. And helps me laugh at what I probably felt at twelve but never articulated nearly as well as Katie does. Joy School also tugs at heartstrings. Katie is lonely and learns who she wants to be through ups and downs of friendships and her first big crush. Elizabeth Berg masterfully crafts all the characters. I enjoyed Joy School more than a decade ago and thoroughly enjoyed it again this time.



View all my reviews

No comments: