Thursday, September 12, 2019

My review of Richard Russo's collection of short stories, Trajectory

TrajectoryTrajectory by Richard Russo

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


One facility Richard Russo’s characters have in common is articulating complicated motives. I enjoyed hearing their inner dialogue as they sort out what-ifs and what-just-happeneds. Russo’s insightful understanding of the human heart is matched only by his subtle humor. Although subtle, his humor sometimes elicited sobs of laughter.

Trajectory compiles four discrete, multilayered short stories with varied plots.

In “Horseman,” I found myself feeling angry and more than a little scared for Janet Moore, a college professor among misogynistic colleagues and a defiant student.

Nate, the main character in “Voice,” is haunted by incidents sparking professional and personal insecurities. It seemed that criticisms by the people in those incidents might have stemmed from their not seeing Nate’s sensitivity to the feelings of others. I kept hoping someone would appreciate this precious compassion in him.

In “Intervention,” a real estate agent debates whether to save a client from herself.

My favorite story in the Trajectory collection is “Milton and Marcus,” a screenplay within a story. Caught in realities of film-making finances, screenwriter Ryan struggles with how to come away with his integrity and creative license. The screenplay “Milton and Marcus” and Ryan’s story “Milton and Marcus” both ponder what has-beens in popular culture do to rediscover their fire in the belly.

I really enjoyed Trajectory’s stories of introspection masterfully woven with action and lively dialogue. And word choices like “the flinty wintry Yankee in me.” Richard Russo’s prose was a pleasure to read.



View all my reviews

No comments: