Sunday, June 12, 2022

Surrender to Love by David Benner ~ my review

 As I read David G. Benner’s Surrender to Love, my bookmarks alternated between a highlighter pen and a tissue. I highlighted aha moments I would want to return to and wiped many tears. On page 17 Benner says, “Surrender involves relaxing, and you must feel safe before you can relax.” He is speaking of surrender to God’s perfect, unconditional love.

 

In this slim (109 pages) book, Surrender to Love: Discovering the Heart of Christian Spirituality, Benner admits that surrendering oneself involves terrifying vulnerability, but he makes a case for why Jesus Christ is completely trustworthy. And he shows the benefits of increasing intimacy with God.

 

I love the concept of relaxing in God’s love. So different from fretting and striving to please Him. I love Benner’s intimacy images, such as snuggling with God. He stresses the transforming power of God’s love. Our purpose on earth is to learn love.

 

Benner’s chapters conclude with “For Further Reflection” to help us on the love journey. Surrender to Love is a beautifully written, encouraging, and enlightening book.

No comments: