Thursday, June 6, 2019

Post-vacation adjustments, and gratitude


First breakfast cooked by myself in more than three weeks. Not an unpleasant adjustment because I like to cook, and I like my cooking. I don’t even mind washing dishes. But still … four days after touching down in Chicago, I’m still in post-vacation fuzz, really not wanting to do much except look at my vacation photos and smile.
In the midst of this happy haze, however, I am quieted with gratefulness. First, to God for providing this vacation with all its abundant, artfully presented meals. Because of dietary and budget restrictions over the years, I have almost always rented vacation lodging with kitchens so that I could do my own cooking except for one or two restaurant meals. So to the best of my recollection, for probably forty years I have never had a true vacation from cooking.
During the past three weeks in France, I was the gauche tourist taking pictures of all the wonderful food. I will just include one shot from each week. Week One (European Experiences) is a salad from Café de la Fontaine in Maussane. Week Two (Paint Provence with Tess) is our awesome chef Anna with her gluten-free strawberry tart. Week Three (Hotel Valdys in Saint-Jean-de-Monts) is  one of many healthy fresh seafood dinners.
I’m also super-grateful to my gourmet-chef hubby Robert for all the incredible meals he prepares. And better late than never, I am thankful for my mother’s faithfully putting healthy, balanced meals on the family table for my first twenty or so years. Having such an extended break from meal prep, I guess, increases my appreciation for all those meals and acts of service I tended to take for granted.

Might as well change my watch back to Chicago time today. Tough saying au revoir to my beloved France.

No comments: