Monday, December 5, 2022

I'll Never Be French by Mark Greenside ~ my review

I'll Never Be French is so enjoyable, I have just read it twice in three months. I identify with so many of Mark Greenside's observations and anecdotes. I've also been perplexed in Paris' monstrous train station with no elevator. I have my own hilarious language bloopers from dozens of France's farmers markets. I've been the pathetic "project" French ladies took pity on. Being an American in France, I realized very quickly, I'll Never Be French. This memoir is laugh-out-loud funny. Greenside takes cross-cultural challenges in humble good humor and gives the reader entertaining French immersion stories.

In addition, Greenside makes insightful observations about cultural differences. These are sprinkled throughout the memoir but highlighted in his birthday party with both American and French guests. In all my visits to France, I've sensed this or that cultural norm, but Mark Greenside articulates these so well.

No comments: