Saturday, July 15, 2023

To accomplish or to enjoy ~ That is the question

 

Accomplish, or Enjoy? That is the question

 

My dad always said it was important to ask good questions,

and I think this qualifies, because it is one of those defining questions

that maybe would change the world and one’s epitaph.

 

It is easy to see how one’s answer to this question

might alter a eulogy, because that is what legacies are made of,

who you were and what you did.

 

But change this world?  Now there’s a worthy question.

Everybody was somebody and everybody did some things.

Not everybody brings heaven to earth.

 

When people remember me after I’m gone, may they not question

that I enjoyed them and loved being with them doing nothing,

asking nothing of them nor they of me . . .

 

. . . that I listened and laughed, that I heard with my heart and wept,

that our tears of joy and pain are forever blended with the Lord’s

in the bottle where He remembers and treasures every one.

 

© 2002 Jane Ulrich-Hoppe

No comments: