Wednesday, February 8, 2017

My review of Michelle Van Loon's Moments & Days



A Christian is part of a larger story and family than just his individual church. Understanding our Jewish heritage transports us to Jesus’ world when He walked the earth and calls us to community with our forever family. To that end, Michelle Van Loon’s enlightening Moments & Days: How Our Holy Celebrations Shape Our Faith ties together BC and AD, Old Testament and New Testament. Through history and intent of each Jewish and Christian holy day, Van Loon encourages contemplation that leads to purposeful action today. She concludes in “It’s About Time,” her final chapter, that her desire is for readers to live kairos-shaped lives, intentional about glorifying God.

Moments & Days also includes seven recipes for Jewish feasts, additional resources, side-by-side Jewish/Christian calendars, glossary, and pronunciation guide.

Although easy to read, this book overwhelmed me with its scope and depth. I read it because I wanted insights into Jesus’ life and my own debt to and connection with God’s chosen people. What I got was realization of how little I know about this—and new appreciation and admiration for how the Jews honored God’s character and actions through their feasts. The overwhelm-factor of Moments & Days will probably be less for Christian readers of different backgrounds. I didn’t have many pegs already in my brain on which to hang the new knowledge I gained in Moments & Days.

My favorite part of the book (on pages 183 and 184) shows the heart challenge of each holy day by saying what each invites us into. For example, “Yom Kippur invites us into a discipline of intercession.”

Our moments and days are sacred gifts. Psalm 90:12, “Teach us to number our days that we may gain a heart of wisdom” fuels Van Loon’s quest to help her readers steward the fragile, brief, precious time God gives them.

1 comment:

Michelle Van Loon said...

Thanks for your engagement with the book, Jane!