Monday, May 20, 2024

Old-Fashioned on Purpose ~ my review

Knowing Jill Winger might be preaching to the choir, I chose to read her book, Old-Fashioned on Purpose: Cultivating a Slower, More Joyful Life. Yes, as it turns out, I am the simple-old-fashioned-organic choir. Philosophically, I cheer the concepts presented here and have tried more than a few of Winger’s ideas. But I still gained some interesting tips and perspectives.

 

Winger relates how she “became” Old MacDonald. She explains the sustainability and interdependence of the plants on their prairie, their grazing livestock, and her family’s nutritional needs. She calls this a “cycle of abundance.”

 

Drawing from old wisdom of people like Benjamin Franklin and Adam Smith and newer voices like Michael Pollan, neuroscientist Kelly Lambert, and Wendell Berry, Winger touts the creativity, joy, and balance benefits of broadening one’s skills to lead a simpler life. She includes some recipes, such as honey mint lip balm, quick pickled veggies, and grass-finished beef.

 

At times as I read Old-Fashioned on Purpose, I felt a bit sad because I am now past the age when I could farm. I miss snapping beans. I miss sharing zucchini and tomatoes with neighbors. But I also felt encouraged by Winger’s exciting suggestions for cultivating community, beginning with letting go of perfection and pushing past fears. I believe most joy-seeking people, regardless of age or locale, would find helpful tidbits in this book.

No comments: