Tuesday, May 21, 2024

The Dance Most of All ~ my review

In this 49-poem compilation, The Dance Most of All, poet Jack Gilbert reflects on scenes from his life with wisdom and melancholy. I find these poems interesting for several reasons. One is the wide variety of places and experiences mentioned—significant loves to simple observations remembered from Paris, Umbria, Nepal, Pittsburgh. I am also interested in Gilbert’s tone as he remembers, because I, too, look for meaning in memories. When reading his poems, I can see stains on his cheeks from tears cried long ago and then rest with him in each resolution.

 

The book’s title is taken from Gilbert’s poem “Ovid in Tears,” which ends

“… Both the melody

and the symphony. The imperfect dancing

in the beautiful dance. The dance most of all.”

 

I like his reviewing life as an imperfect yet beautiful dance. My most personally intriguing poem in this collection is “Not Easily.” Each line elicits a wow, hmmm, or oooh. I can picture it, but I can’t explain it.

 

“… We can swim in the Aegean,

 but we can’t take it home. …”

 

No comments: